How to Recycle Paper Bags
The world is becoming aware of the negative effects that plastic bags have on the environment. That’s why most homes and companies are trying to move away from plastic bags to other alternatives.
However, because plastic bags have been around for so long, you have first to figure out how you’re going to deal with the plastic bags you already have. Recycling is the best solution, and there are several ways you can recycle plastic bags.
Sending the bags to a recycling centre
The most common method of recycling paper bags is by sending them to a recycling centre. It’s easy and doesn’t cost you anything. This method is ideal if you have many bags you would like to get rid of at once.
Why not also read: Jute Bag vs Plastic Bag
Although you don’t pay a penny to send your bags to the recycling facility, there are a few steps you need to follow to ensure the bags can get recycled.
- The bags should be properly sorted. They should have any debris inside like receipts, gum, or other items. Always shake the bags to confirm they are empty. If you had any foods stored inside the bag, you should make sure you scrap it out before throwing the bag inside the recycling bin.
- Once the bag is properly cleaned out, check to see if the bag is recyclable. Most bags will have a symbol or number that indicates the bag is made from recycled material and can be recycled again. If the bag can’t be recycled, you can reuse the bag at home.
- For recyclable bags, you can collect them in one large garbage bag. Compact the bags inside to remove the air and place the garbage bag with the bags inside where they can be picked up by the recycling company.
Reuse the paper bags at home
Unfortunately, not all paper bags are recyclable. If you have a few that you can’t recycle, you can reuse them at home. There are numerous ways you can reuse paper bags at home, depending on how creative you are. Here are a few common ways you can use.
- You can use old plastic bags as garbage bin lining. Plastic bags do an excellent job of protecting the bin. You can cut up the plastic and tape them to the bottom of the garbage bins to prevent liquids from leaking into the can.
- You can also try using the plastic bags as garbage bags around the use. You can use them in mini garbage bins around the house. When throwing out the trash, all you have to do is pull out the plastic bag.
- Another idea to reuse plastic bags is to use them as garbage bags in your car.
- If you don’t have a reusable grocery bag, you can use plastic bags as your grocery bags. They are durable so they should give you good service for a long time.
Make crafts out of the bags
You can also get creative with any leftover plastic bags. You just need to get a little creative with how you use the bags.
One of the best ways is to create yearn out of plastic bags. Yarn made from plastic is known as plarn. You can use the plarn for crocheting and knitting. Cut the plastic bags into strips, then string them together to make long strands of parn. You can then use the plan to make items like tote bags, purses and mats.
Why not also read: How to Make Recycled Paper?
You can also make a woven basket out of plarn. What you can make out of plastic bags is only limited by your creativity.
Making crafts out of plastic bags is perfect if you have many bags lying around that happen to be of the same colour. It also makes a good bonding time if you can do it with your children.
As you work to recycle the bags in your home, your focus should be on avoiding bringing more paper bags into the home. We have an excellent range of cotton bags that come in various designs and colours that will make great substitutes for plastic bags. The bags are durable, washable, and are made from responsibly sourced, ethically imported cotton. From our vast range of designs and sizes, you can choose a cotton bag that applies best to the use you have in mind.